Stained Glass Custom OrderingHere are some helpful steps in preparing to order custom glass.
1. Decide what type of design you might like, keeping in mind that the more detail involved, the more the piece is likely to cost. You don’t need to know exactly what you want, but having some ideas helps us with designing your project.
- Is there a theme you love? (garden, birds, abstract, religious….)
- Is there an architectural style you have in mind? Do you have any details in the space that you would like to compliment?
- Can you find a pattern you like in a pattern book, even if you might need to modify it? Do you have a picture of a window or cabinet that you like? We have quite a few in the store if you need help with ideas.
2. Next, get an idea of the colors you want to work into the design.
3. Decide if you would like to see through the glass or not. There are situations where you may want to see through the glass, and other situations where you’d like to use the glass to keep someone from seeing through.
4. Next, you will need to know the dimensions of the piece. We will explain the exact measurements needed for your design at the time of ordering to ensure a proper fit.
- For cabinet doors, you will want the dimension of the opening where the glass will sit, not the actual hole.
- For windows, you want the inside dimension where the glass will hang.
- For a door or sidelight you need the dimension of the glass you can see, from edge to edge.
- Anything rounded will need a more specific dimension.
5. Now it is time to order. When you talk with us, we can provide ideas and choices as well as walk you through the details of the project. Installation will be discussed at this time. When everything is decided, we will give you an estimated cost and time of completion.
This process can feel a bit overwhelming at first. Feel free to call or come in with questions and we will help. Also, there are many examples of stained glass in our store which can help you pinpoint what you may want. If you can’t get to our store, check out our website gallery for examples of our custom work.